When choosing your first human hair wig, you need to consider the length and size of the wig. You should know in advance the different wig lengths and their corresponding features.
To help you choose the best wig length, we are here to introduce the wig length chart. It will give you an idea of the right hair length for you. We hope that by the end of this article, you will be able to choose a preferred wig length that fits your lifestyle and work needs.
1 What is the length of the wig ?
2 Classification of wig lengths
3 Wig length chart
4 How to choose the most suitable wig length ?
What is the length of the wig?
Wigs are available in lengths from 8 to 32 inches. These lengths are the most common. Firstly, these lengths reflect the most common natural hair lengths. Secondly, they allow you to have a variety of styles from short bob to extra long straight or curly hair.
The most frequently purchased wig lengths are 12-24 inches. It's no surprise that the appeal of these wig lengths is that they are neither too short nor too long. Even beginners can manage wigs that are 12-24 inches long. This is because these lengths are just enough to give you various hair options, bob, straight styles, and long curly hair.
Classification of wig sizes
Wig lengths are usually divided into four main categories: short, medium, long, and extra long.
- Short length: lengths range from a few inches to 10 inches.
- Medium length: wig length from 12 inches to 16 inches.
- Long: long wigs from 18 inches long to 24 inches long.
- Extra-long: extra-long wigs are 26 inches or longer.
Let's examine each wig length to determine which length is best for you.
- 8-inch wig: An 8-inch wig is ideal for anyone who wants to stay cool on the hottest summer days or while working out. When the hair is straight, it goes over your chin and collarbone.
- 10-inch wig. A 10-inch wig is a great option for women who prefer a shorter style but feel that 8 inches are too short. It's perfect for a slightly longer centre, side-parted bob or fun spiral curls.
- 12-inch wig. Twelve inches is just long enough for a long bob and is popular on social media. Many people like this length because you can get length and volume. Other styles that go perfectly with 12 inches include curly bob and beach-style waves.
- 14-inch wig. Fourteen inches is somewhere between a medium and a long. This length is great for styles like long bob, wavy hair, spiral curls, or super tight coiffures.
- 16-inch wig. Sixteen inches gives you less volume but more length to play with. This length works for various styles, from loose and deep waves to small curls and pin-straight styles.
- 18-inch wig. Eighteen inch is considered to be the most preferred length for women. It is longer than your shoulders and suits a variety of styles. The best thing about 18-inch wigs is that they can make you feel glamorous, but they are not hard to maintain.
- 20-inch wig: 20-inch wigs are long and may be a good choice if you want your hair to flow in the wind and bounce as you walk. At this length, your hair will fall near your waist.
- 22-inch wig. Like the 20-inch wig, the 22-inch wig is great for ladies who want to be attractive.
- 24-inch-32-inch wigs. When we talk about wigs over 24 inches, this hair will go almost to your hips. You can wear your hair this long in any style you can imagine.
Please note that the estimates on hair fall are for straight hair only. Wavy and curly textured wigs will look shorter than they are.
Wig Length Chart
To give you a better understanding, we have provided a wig length chart showing each length and where it sits on your body.
How to choose the most suitable wig length?
The following points need to be considered.
- Length: If you want a chic, sleek bob, cut it much shorter. If you want a luxurious, gorgeous look, go for a longer haircut. Remember, the longer the wig length, the more expensive it is.
- Hair structure: Keep in mind that curly and uneven hair lengths usually decrease slightly. So if you want a long curly look, you must choose hair lengths that are a few inches longer.
- Thickness: Wigs with higher thickness are more likely to be complete throughout the wig size, while wigs with lower density may not be complete.
- Height. A normal wig worn on your body will look longer if you are not too tall. If you are very tall, the wig will look short on you.
- Lifestyle: If you have an active lifestyle, you can choose a shorter wig, so you don't have to deal with shoulder, neck and back hair.
If you're unfamiliar with wigs, you now have everything you need to choose the right wig length. Use our wig length chart to see how different hair lengths look.
Now we have a question for you! What is your favourite wig length? Share your thoughts in the comments below.